Wednesday, May 16, 2012

AQ Review 4U

I suppose most of you are logging on and checking out what's going on in the classroom because it's mandatory this week.  C'est la vie.  I'll try to keep it short, simple, sweet and moderately funny.  Just kidding it's going to be pretty lame.

We're gearing up for the final Acuity Test of the year.  So, we reviewed Israel, Apartheid, Korea/Japan/Manchuria/China, economic spillovers, and OPEC.

Students struggled the most with economic spillovers.  It's been a while since we talked about the economy, and I didn't discuss spillovers too much.  So, I had them draw some pictures to grasp the concept:

When you pour a glass of water, you expect to get a glass of water.  Such is the case with the economy.  When a factory gets built, you expect jobs to come with it.  Economic spillover refers to the unintended consequences or side effects of economic practices or developments.

For instance, when I poured my glass of water I intended to get a drink.  The excess that "spilled over" fell to the ground and a beautiful flower grew.  Positive spillover.  However, some of the water landed on a baby and made the baby cry.  Negative spillover.

Yeah, maybe it's not the best analogy, but it's what I came up with.

To get the extra credit (or homework points if you haven't turned it in yet) read and discuss the blog with an adult.  Give some examples of positive and negative economic spillovers.  What major world event happened just before the creation of Israel as a modern nation?


Then, when you're finished reading and discussing, write the following phrase on a scrap piece of paper and have the adult you discussed the blog with sign it:

"I'll remind my friends to bring their colored pencils to class on Thursday."

Don't forget to put your name on the paper as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment