Friday, May 2, 2014

Promises

We're moving into the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict.

We just had a brief introduction to it yesterday and today.  Yesterday we watched a video of the Teapacks performing the song, "Push the Button."

You can watch it here:





It's pretty good.  I had hoped we could go over the lyrics in class a little bit today, but we didn't get that chance.  Well, not reall... at least not in most classes.

We spent the time today grading our Middle East maps, and discussing the basics of the conflict.

I've got 3 young daughters.  At any given moment, one is trying to steal a doll-baby from another one.  It's a problem when 2 people independently think they are the sole owner of a possession.

We're going to start watching Promises next week.  Here's the trailer.  (Some classes also watched this.)






Well... this post is a little disjointed.  I'm sorry about that.  I've been called away from the computer a couple times to help out some other students and teachers.  Also, to receive help myself.  The problem with posting this blog is that it doesn't leave time to edit.

For instance, the bell just rang.  I've got to go monitor the hall...

...I'm back... and you didn't even know I was gone.  Weird, huh?

I've got so much work to do, I'm going to end the post here.

If you want the credit for reading and discussing the blog with an adult, explain or at least discuss the baby doll analogy with them.  Or the car.

...Ok... I'll tell it...  Really fast:  If your car gets stolen, and it's found a day later, would you want it back?  What if the thief said, "Oh come on, I've had it for a day already... it's practically mine, right?"

What if he had it for a week?  Two weeks?  A month?  A year?  10 years?  ...Also, it's a Ferrari.

The police find it 20 years later in mint condition.  Do you want it back?

Students, if you remember, you could explain what that has to do with the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict.

Write down 3 thoughts from your conversation, then turn it in on Monday.  See you then.

2 comments:

  1. Totally reminded me of you and Peter singing for MAW. "Push the button!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought it would be fun to do a strictly social studies show. The set list could include The Mesopotamians, Disneylandia by Jorge Drexler, The Curse by Josh Ritter, Push the Button... Of course, I'd have to brush up on my Spanish, French and Hebrew...

      Delete