Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Gandhi and Plate Glass Windows

Gandhi (and The Indian National Congress) are moving closer and closer to independence from the British.

There are a couple ideas Gandhi reiterates throughout his life.  Essentially, he says that the Indians are upset with the British, because the British do not treat Indians as equals.

But, Gandhi says, Indians do not treat each other as equals.

In the movie, Gandhi said that before Indians could (or should) try to gain independence from the British, they would need to, "prove worthy of it."

Gandhi outlined 3 things that had to happen for a successful independence:


  1. Hindu/Muslim Unity
  2. Outlaw "Untouchability"
  3. Defy the British
India was ready to defy the British, but was it ready to accept Gandhi's challenge to get along internally?

When I was a kid, my mom went to the store to buy a gallon of milk and maybe some other groceries.  My sister was upstairs reading, and my brother and I were out in the yard playing.  I'm not sure what all happened, but I know that he swore at me, and then I spit on him.

He told me he was going to spit on me back, so I ran into the house and locked him out.

Our back door had a huge plate-glass window in it.  He started pounding on it, saying he was going to break it if I didn't let him in.

I, of course, was willing to do no such thing.  I laughed at him and went upstairs.

He kept pounding on the window.  My sister, concerned, told me I should probably go downstairs and let him in.

Just as I got to the door, his fist came through it.  Glass went everywhere.  We were both barefoot.  

His clenched fist hung in the air on the other side of the door as he said, "I... I told you I would break it."

Before my mom left, I remember telling her that we could handle it.  Surely, she could leave for 5 minutes and get a gallon of milk.  The grocery store was only a couple blocks away.  "We'll be good," we said.  "Trust us."

To my students: If you want the extra credit for reading and discussing the blog, you were supposed to have read and discussed it with an adult.  If you've done this, find a scrap of paper and explain what my story has to do with the Indian Independence Movement.  How are they similar?  Is it a fair comparison?  Do you think the Indians are ready for independence?  Why or why not?  (I would discuss all of this with an adult before writing it down...)

When you're done, have the adult you read and discussed with sign the paper.

Turn it in tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. cassandra rodabaugh 1st hrMarch 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM

    hey Mr. Habecker! I don't know if you can see this in time or whatever, but I was wondering if this'll do for extra credit?

    I think your story is similar because you boys wanted independence... but, unfortunately, you weren't ready for it yet. this ties in with the Indian Independence because they want their freedom as well, but are they ready for it? I think so, yes. because a country always has good parts and bad parts of it, but its still a country. and its still THEIR country. they have a right to make their own choices, even if they are bad. I think all countries are like this, even America, the big bad country of freedom. I think many people take the fact that, indeed, it is their country and they take power over it because they're stronger. just like Horton Hears a Who said: A country's a country, no matter how small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a well-reasoned paragraph right there, Cassandra. I'm going to count it.

      Delete