Friday, August 22, 2014

Plotting Latitude and Longitude

We worked on plotting latitude and longitude on a grid today.

After some basics, we moved onto more difficult spots.  Nothing too crazy....  Since we had the students label their grids by fives, 10˚N, 5˚E is easier to plot than 17˚S, 4˚W...  We got to all of that, but we didn't take 0,0 off the grid - so the students still had a middle point to start from.

After a little practice, we had the students take trips.  They would tell us where they wanted to go, or who they wanted to see.  Then, we would have somebody go to the board, locate that place or person, and draw them in the correct spot.

It's difficult to draw with the SMART markers, but they would manage.  However, because we have the internet, I could do a quick google image search and find a picture of the place or person.  I would surreptitiously switch out their hand-drawn picture of Justin Beiber (or whoever) and replace it with one I found online.  When the students noticed, I liked to pretend that it was the one drawn by hand, and that the student was just that good of an artist.

Here are some of the grids we came up with - in case you're interested:



It was a good day.  I feel better about the students' ability to plot latitude and longitude than I have in previous years.  I have to remember what I'm doing differently...  It's probably that I have another qualified teacher in the room with me all the time.  (Mr. Helmuth, my student-teacher...)  It makes everything so much easier.

Have a great weekend.  If you want the extra credit for reading and discussing the blog tonight, find a scrap of paper, and tell me what is found at 20˚N, 5˚W on the first grid.  Write it down, and have the adult you read and discussed the blog with sign the paper.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment