Monday, October 13, 2014

Important

What's the most important invention or discovery of all time?

Go!

Don't read any farther.  And students - if you were here today, don't shout out the answer... at least, not yet.  Give a bunch of other suggestions.

See if the adult you're reading with can come up with the one I gave.

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

Did they?

After you've discussed it, tell them what I said.  Then tell them why.

(In case you forget, I said agriculture.  Agriculture led to the development of cities, division of labor, etc, etc... and ultimately CIVILIZATION.)

We'll get to civilizations later.

For now, just know what agriculture is, and why it's important.  Maybe think about it next time you eat a meal.  Chances are whatever you are eating was raised for you to eat.  Unless you've got a hunter in the family.  It's no longer crow season in Indiana, by the way.  I just checked.  But if you've got a bow and an arrow or two, you could go after turkey or deer.  Probably also a license, or licensed adult.  I haven't hunted in a LONG time.  I'm probably the wrong person to go to about these laws.


Also, we're discussing agriculture in here.  If you want a head start on what we're doing and what we'll be studying next, you can always search the blogger search engine at the top of your screen.  Type "agriculture."  Then you can read last year's posts.  ...If you're bored.

For now, if you want the extra credit, write down what you had for your last meal.  Then tell me how much of it was raised for consumption.  Me?  I had a bowl of cereal - all the grain in there was raised.  As were the almonds.  I poured on milk.  Cows were raised to give me the milk.  I drank a cup of coffee... yep... coffee beans.  Have the adult you read and discussed the blog with sign what you just wrote.  Make sure your name, date, and hour are on it - otherwise you won't get credit.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment