Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Fake Quiz

My students took a fake quiz today, and ACED it.  Seriously.  They aced it.  It was great.  After I gave it, I thought that I probably should have just given the quiz today - that they were ready for it.

The problem is, I'm moving at a quicker pace than I generally do - so I wanted to make sure they were prepare.  The good news is they are.  (This would be a good time to ask the child you're reading the blog with how they did on the fake quiz.)

We also read The Hunger Games.  I'm reading it at the beginning of the year this year for a number of reasons.  Mostly, I want to be able to use it as a reference point throughout the year, but also because the second movie is coming out in November.  I thought it would be decent of me to finish it up before then.  That way, it might give an added incentive to read the sequel.  I like to promote reading whenever possible.

However, it's backfiring on me a little bit.  I want to use it as a reference point, but when topics come up - I can't point out how they tie in with this class because we haven't studied them yet.  We've already had several concepts come up in the book: ethnocentrism, human rights, human capital, economic systems, etcetera.  And we've had several terms come up.  Today we read the word "decade."  It's a simple enough term, but one that a surprising number of students don't know.  And it's a 7th grade social studies word.

I stopped in a couple classes and asked if anybody knew how long it was.  Definitely worth it.

If you want extra credit for reading and discussing the blog today, read and discuss the blog with an adult.  Then, when you're done, find a scrap of paper and write the following phrase: "We're rocking out."  Have the adult you read the blog with sign the paper.  Turn it in tomorrow in the extra credit tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment