Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Comparing Buddhism and Hinduism

We'll be wrapping up our studies on Buddhism within the next couple of days.  ...Come to think of it, that means we'll be completely done with religions for the year.  Wow.  I feel like I just met this class.

We did a Venn Diagram today comparing Buddhism to Hinduism.  If you were absent, I'll post a copy here in a little bit.  I'll also upload a copy to the H-Block Assignments page.

Again, the religions share a lot of similarities, but they are not the same.

Over the winter break, I watched the Scorsese  film, Kundun.  I watched it to see if it would be worth showing in class.  I had never shown it before, but I had briefly taught about the China/Tibet conflict, as it ties into the Indiana standards.  It's a good movie, but we just don't have time for it.

We DID have time for the trailer today, though.



We see a lot of Buddhist thought in the trailer.  We also get a little glimpse of history: finding the Dalai Lama, the China/Tibet conflict.

The last thing we did today was grade the China map practice from yesterday.  Because that map came from Junior Scholastic, I only have copies here in the classroom.  If students want (or need) to make it up, they'll have to get a pass from me and come in during CAP class.

Students in my class can get extra credit from reading and discussing this blog with an adult.  In order to get the extra credit today, watch the Kundun trailer and discuss it.  See if you can identify any Buddhist beliefs from the trailer.  Then, students, find a scrap piece of paper and write a few sentences about your discussion with the adult.  Make sure your name, date, and hour are on the paper.

Turn it in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment