Friday, November 18, 2011

Defiance

We had the test today. I think it went pretty well. I had a number of kids tell me that it was easy, and a number tell me that it was difficult.

I tried something new. During the last five minutes of the test, I gave students a sheet of loose-leaf paper and let them write any questions they had. They were allowed to take that paper home to study. I hope it helps.

I gave everybody a little time to study before the test as well.

Before that, I read a couple pages of The Hunger Games. There was an act of defiance in the reading today, and it was a subtle, yet aggressive act. In discussing dissent in unlimited governments, I asked if it was ever ok to defy authority.

What do you think? To get the extra credit on Monday discuss the following questions with your parent:

What was the act of defiance that occurred in The Hunger Games? (You don't have to answer that one if your parents are planning on reading the book... We wouldn't want to give anything away.

Is it ever ok to defy authority? If so when? If not, why not?

Did you write anything on your loose-leaf paper from the test? What didn't you understand? You may want to figure those answers out somehow...

In order to get the extra credit Monday, bring in a piece of scrap paper that is signed by your parent (or whatever adult you discussed it with...) Include the phrase "Defiance is wasted by the young." Parents - by signing this paper you are stating that you really did discuss it with your kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment