Tuesday, August 28, 2012

L&L

I think we're getting the hang of this latitude and longitude thing.  Seriously.  I think my students are grasping the concept faster this year than they have any other year.  I don't know why this is...  Either way, I'm happy.

I taught it a little differently this year: the road trip.  Your pencil is the car, your home is 0°N,0°E.  You've got your flaming hot cheetos and your Monster caffinated beverage.  Just start by going North or South.  Once you reach the correct latitude, turn East or West until you arrive at your destination.

We also discussed why we use degrees to measure latitude and longitude.  Bonus points to the student who explains this concept to an adult.

If you want the extra credit points today, students read and discuss this blog with an adult.  Then, adults use the grid below and put your finger on an intersection.  Have the student you're reading the blog with tell you the coordinates.  Do this a total of 5 times.  Then, have them write a set of coordinates on a scrap of paper.  Sign the paper.  He can turn it in for 5 extra credit points.

(You may want to click on the picture to enlarge it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment