Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Comfort, Fashion, and Our Cultural Customs

We graded the maps today.  I hope to have the grades entered by this afternoon.

After we finished that up, we read an article on the Chinese practice of foot-binding.  It's been estimated that over 1 billion Chinese women had their feet bound, and the practice lasted approximately 1000 years.

There is so much to teach - and foot binding is hardly representative of Chinese culture - but I can use it as an introduction to the dynasties.  Furthermore, I'll incorporate some of the issues and topics we've discussed in here throughout the year: customs, culture, time, ethnocentrism, values, etc...

In case you'd like to read the article, you can find it HERE.  Here's your warning though: I didn't show the most graphic pictures in class.  I don't think I would have been pushing any boundaries by showing them, but I know that some people are more squeamish than others, and I'd like to respect that.

If you want the extra credit for reading and discussing the blog with an adult, discuss foot binding.  What are your thoughts on the practice?  Is it fair to judge their historical culture based on the culture of today?  Be careful when you answer this...  There are some serious implications to whichever stance you take.

When you're done, draw a picture of a foot, and have the adult you discussed the blog with sign the picture.  Make sure your name is on it as well.  Turn it in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment