Friday, January 17, 2014

ATAT

Thanks for all the birthday wishes.  It's going to be a great weekend.

We've started looking at the Arab Spring the past couple days.  Hopefully your son or daughter can give you a little insight into what happened.  Go ahead and ask them.  Right now.  Just stop reading for a moment and see if they look confused or if they know their stuff.  (And students, come on... a great birthday present would be respecting your parents and not rolling your eyes at them when they start questioning you on the Arab Spring...)

We'll finish it up Tuesday and Wednesday, and then we'll move into studying religions.

I'm not going to post too much about the Arab Spring today though.  I'll save that for next week.  Today I want to post about Popeye.

Now, I don't have any tattoos - and I'm neither condoning them, nor disparaging them.  But Popeye?  That man has a couple.  And he's tough.  I always loved the episodes when he'd eat some spinach and his tattoos would come alive with power:



...Ok... so technically that's just his bicep.  But that's the best I could find on youtube with the time crunch I'm under.  If you find a better one, send it to me.  I'll embed it in here.

I've taught my kids what "unlimited governments" are.  They're governments with unlimited power: dictatorships, oligarchies, theocracies, and absolute monarchies.  But they don't know the many synonyms for unlimited governments: ATAT.

A: Autocracy
T: Totalitarian
A: Authoritarian
T: Tyranny

In those types of governments, all the power lies with the government itself.

There's a good chance there will be a short quiz over ATAT on Tuesday.  Until then, have a great weekend.  If you are looking for some extra credit, write the 4 synonyms for unlimited government on a scrap of paper 4 times, then have the adult you read the blog with sign the paper.  Turn it in on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment