Friday, January 20, 2012

Stuff About This Stuff

My apologies.

(Back story:  Teachers at Concord exceed expectations, and offer students opportunities for success in a variety of ways.  For instance, a couple of the paths H Block takes to raise the academic bar: Mr. Schlegel sends out an email with daily homework and the day's content, I offer the blog for further enrichment and extra credit, H Block has a selective tutoring session (if you're interested, but not yet involved feel free to send me an email and let me know), multiple classes offer extra credit, or test retakes...

I was helping with tutoring last night when a colleague mentioned the blog.  I had printed out several copies for students without computer or internet access.  At the bottom of the page it read, "After you've finished reading this stuff, adults please sign the bottom of the paper..."

My colleague was lamenting the fact that I'd used the word "stuff" in my blog.  "Yeah, but couldn't you have used a better word?" she asked.  "We're constantly prodding students to improve their vocabulary," she continued lightheartedly, "and even mentioning that word in particular."

Too true.  In fact, I think there were a couple power points I just graded that contained that dirty word.  I believe I made comments that it should be changed.  Ouch.  End of back story.)

Hence the apology above.  I can give you lots of excuses.  I'm typing this out hastily during my prep period - trying to get it out before students get home...  That allows for basically Zero edits/ re-writes...  I want the tone of the writing to be conversational and inviting...  Whatevs.  I think she's right.  Stuff has been banished from this blog, and I hope the same stuff gets banished from your kid's writing as well.  ISTEP is looming, after all.

Ok... I may not banish stuff, but I will try harder to avoid such a dirty word.

In class today we had acuity, so there's not much to talk about.

When you're done reading this stuff the content of this blog, please discuss it with your parent, grandma, auntie, or other adult in your household.  Try to find 3 challenging vocabulary words in my the writing above.  If you can't find any, how could you spice it up?  When you are finished, write the following quote on a scrap of paper, and have them sign it.  (Make sure your name is on it as well if you want the extra credit...)  Quote:  "We are such stuff as blogs are made of..."

2 comments: