Friday, February 3, 2012

Grading

I just finished up putting in grades.  You may want to check them and see if you're missing anything.  It's 5:05 and my family is probably wondering where I am.

Speaking of grading, we graded the India Maps in class today.  Grading during class is a great way for students to take in the information a second time.  They get to see where they made mistakes, and correct them right away - which reinforces their learning.

I make the students take everything off their desks except for the red pen they are using, and the map they are grading.  This cuts down on cheating.  (Believe it or not, I've had students try to cheat in my class before...  Sad, I know... What has the world come to?)

We also discussed the caste system a little bit more.  The bellwork for the day asked whether or not there was a caste system or social structure here at CJHS.  We had some pretty interesting responses.  Personally, I'm putting the Chess Team at the top.  We've got a tournament tomorrow.  8:00 AM until about 3:00 or 4:00 PM.  I'm pretty sure we'll smoke the competition.

To get the extra credit Monday, students need to discuss the following with an adult in their home: is there a social structure at CJHS?  What does it look like?  Are there any other ways to make the social structure pyramid?  Where would you put yourself?  (Don't worry, I won't ask that one in class...)  How much of social structure at CJHS is perception?  I mean, some people might think one group is on the top, other people might thing a different group belongs there...

Once you've read and discussed the blog, write the following quote on a piece of paper and have the adult you discussed it with sign it.  (Don't forget to put your name on it as well.)  Quote:  "Be nice to nerds.  Chances are you'll end up working for one."  - Bill Gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment