Friday, May 23, 2014

Social Studies Propaganda

We've moved on from propaganda and North Korea.  Our lesson today actually dealt with happiness.  Or the lack of it in Iran.  (I guess, really it still ties in with North Korea - our lesson was about human rights, free speech, unlimited governments, modern political conflict...)

I also mentioned the Pope's visit to the Deheishe Refugee Camp.  I mean, we just finished watching Promises.  I've been corresponding a little bit with Sanabel.  I feel like I've heard a lot about Deheishe in the past couple weeks.

I also answered another one of the questions I received in that letter the other day: why isn't Israel considered to be part of Africa?  ...Because when we have a short amount of time to teach, and many students struggle with the basics - the basics is all you get.  But you're right - it's subjective.  But you've got to get the basics down so that you don't look foolish.  (No offense, Bieber - you know we love you.)

So, each one of the above paragraphs could be an entire blog post.  That's problem with keeping a classroom blog - there is so much that goes on in class every day.  There are so many different things I want to write about.

But I promised my students (and my brother) that I would post some of the Social Studies Propaganda Pictures my students made.

In our discussions of North Korea - and how the country uses propaganda to its advantage, I started wondering, why don't I do that?  Why don't I have my students make "Social Studies Propaganda?"  I mean, it would give them a better understanding of what propaganda is, how it works, and why it's used.  Also, maybe I can get some cool artwork for my classroom.

Mission Accomplished:









For those of you reading/discussing the blog with an adult, find a sheet of paper and write down which of the pictures is your favorite - then tell me why.  Have the adult you read the blog with sign the paper.  Put it in the extra credit tray when you get back.

In the meantime, have a great 3-day weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment